Tuesday, January 22, 2013

ED637 Week 1 Essential Question Journal Entry

I feel like I have spent a massive amount of time on the Internet this week learning about all the tools that I will be using to participate in this MOOC.  Basically, a massively open online course, or MOOC, is aimed at large-scale participation and collaboration and is open access to the general online public.  Open access means no fees, unless the institution that is offering it is offering it for credit.  A MOOC is a recent development in distance education and has connectivist roots.  MOOCs allow users to learn from each other.

I learned a lot this week, and dipped my toes into new, exciting, and scary territory.  I re-explored twitter and can be reached on my twitter account at @dmhale23, created a very brief introduction using xtranormal, set up a blogger account, a diigo account, and joined a couple of google groups.  I am still learning and have some questions about whether everyone can view what I attempted to share.

I am not sure if I contributed to the learning of others this week, as I was barely able to keep up.

In order to be successful in this MOOC, I need to keep using all the resources that I have set up so that I can learn how to navigate, share, collaborate, tie together and connect with others.  I am apprehensive, but willing.  I am hoping that I am not alone and am comforted in realizing that the more I use the tools, the better I will become.  I can do it, is my attitude and I am happy that my sister Teresa Paukan is going to be on this adventure with me.

3 comments:

  1. Molly - nice blog! You've really taken on a lot, and I'm sure have learned a lot in a short amount of time! Regarding what you (or any of us) can contribute - when we are just beginning, there will be some who are familiar with the tools, and they will contribute by helping others who are not. After we've all gotten a little better with them,I am excited about what everyone will contribute about what's really important here - teaching and learning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for responding to my blog Tracy, it makes me feel like I did something right and accomplished something. I look forward to learning from everyone.

      Delete
  2. Hi Molly! Thank you for your blog posting. You have contributed to my learning... I am learning that I'm not alone out there in cyberspace and that I'm not the only one who finds it all new, exciting, and scary. I think I understand and share your "apprehensive but willing" feeling.

    Here's to the adventure! Cheers!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete